Monday, July 18, 2011

Home Sweet Home

During the first week in my Slice of Life Project, I focused on photographing things in my home.  I quickly realized that what matters to me in my home falls into a few categories: eating, playing, and memories.  It's amazing what you see when you take a minute to open your eyes to what you have.  Here's what I've learned so far:

Beansprout really enjoys "fixing" his Strider Balance Bike!  Sound effects and all . . . 

Train table is pretty much a daily exploration.
I LOVE that my home has been taken over by the two-year-old who lives here.  The bike that leans against the side table, the board books on the shelves of our bookcases, and the little ukelele next to Matt's guitar are all things that remind me of the joy this little being brings to our lives.  A smile always crosses my face when I realize how our lives have changed -- improved, since Beansprout came along :)  Some days I hardly think about it, and so I'm thankful that this course is making me slow down and take it all in.  Images of playing are always being photographed these days and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Great cookbooks!

Fresh local strawberries - delightful!

Delicious gift from my mother-in-law!  They make even the simplest salad seem divine.

I can't imagine what meals would be like without the grill - period.


I LOVE food.  Good food.  This is something I've known for a long time, but as I looked around my home to photograph objects that were important to me many things having to do with food kept popping up.  As I take a moment to ask myself why, I realize we have worked really hard to change the way we eat.  I spent a lot of time eating Hamburger Helper (which I still can't eat to this day!), Suddenly Salad, and other packaged foods when I was young.  My dad worked hard to make sure we had meals together, but I don't think he really knew how to cook and he surely didn't have the time to learn.  Matt and I eat mostly whole, fresh foods, try to avoid white flour and sugar, and eat little meat.  Don't get me wrong, we are not at all perfect in our diets - we (mostly) tend to eat too much of the good things we make and I (always) struggle to get the sweets out of my life, but we've come a loooong.


Matt and I celebrated our 10th Anniversary last week!  
This painting has traveled with us from house to house to house, making where ever  we live feel like home.
A box of cards I keep on the shelf in our living room.


I LOVE seeing reminders of the life we continue to build together.  I enjoy trying new things and taking on the future to see what it has to offer, but I also need to feel rooted.  Cards and photos from friends, family photos around the house, books we've read (or hope to), and objects from travels all help remind me where I've been and who I am.  

These are the insights I've gained so far!  Can't wait to see what the class has in store for me this coming week!  Stay tuned . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment