Sunday, April 14, 2013

Milestone Birthdays

Poufs and (a little) Bokeh!
To celebrate my milestone birthday this year, I threw a Favorite Things Party for me and my friends!  It was a blast.  I pinned the idea on Pinterest two Christmases ago and knew that the timing was not good during the holidays.  My 40th seemed the perfect time to give it a try!  Here's how it works . . .

Everyone invited is asked to think of a favorite thing (under $6) and to bring 5 of that one item to share with the other guests.  At the party each person describes why she chose her favorite thing and draws five names from the hat - those 5 people get to take her favorite thing home!  Though I was initially nervous about this part of the party, it ended up being so much fun -- it felt like you were winning every time your name got picked!

What I really loved about the party was hearing what people use and why they love it so much.  Additionally, it was interesting to find that almost everyone had an alternate favorite thing they wished they could have brought!  

Our Favorite Things


Here are the things we took home:
  • Norwex Face Cloth
  • Bath & Body Works Moonlight Path Bubble Bath
  • Bioderma makeup remover
  • (Indestructable) Glasses Case
  • Moroccan Argan Oil
  • Hazelnut spread (with a delicious recipe for Nutella Brownies!)
  • Clay pendants with inspirational phrases
  • Chatelaine Magazine with bonus cook book!
  • Espresso Vodka
  • Real Simple Magazine
Some other favorite things shared : 
  • Himalyan Salt Chocolate
  • Underwear
  • Frank's Hot Sauce
  • Tea
  • Herbs de Provence

Swag bags -- how cool is that Trader Joe's bag!?! 

I couldn't decide between the Norwex Face Cloth and the Trader Joe's Lemon Pepper, since I use them both every day!  So I thought I'd cheat and give the Lemon Pepper to everyone, along with my favorite quote and a calendar notepad.  I was disappointed to find that they only had two jars of the Lemon Pepper when I went down to TJs, and resigned myself to a rather lame Swag bag.  Enter, Best Friend in the World . . . she sent me a package with I Love NY Trader Joe's bags, TJ's Lemon Pepper, and TJ's Dark Chocolate Nibs for everyone.  Joy!  

I tell everyone I know they should try one of these parties!  It was a great time and added a cool twist to a fun evening with the ladies.  Let me know if you give it a try!

I would love to hear about your favorite things in the comments . . . what do you think -- what favorite thing would you have brought? 

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea!! I would bring Choloula hot sauce. I use it at least 5x a week! And maybe a trashy magazine like People or OK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of it! Will have to look into that :) Aren't the trashy magazines such an indulgence?!? I love going to any waiting area so I can catch up!!!

    ReplyDelete