Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Sharing stories

Bubbles at the picnic

I have always felt especially drawn to photography as an art medium and can't believe it has taken me this long to try it for myself.  Maybe it's the fact that I've always deemed myself an art appreciator not an art creator?  I'm not sure, but one thing I do know is that the story behind the picture is what captivates me.  I love the fact that photos have a personal story behind them, but that the viewer can see his own story in them as well.  I touched on this idea in my last post - the idea that photographs have a sense of the universal.  This is what makes the art form more accessible in my opinion.  The challenge, of course, lies in putting your own mark on it.  At this point in my life, my goal in photographing is two-fold: I'm trying to capture the moments of our lives, but I'm also attempting to add an artistic flair to the everyday.

Playing with Batman!
Week 5 of the Slice of Life Project challenged me to do just that -- to photograph the moments of my life, to tell my story.  I have to work on being in the moment of photographing and being patient with it, but for now it is in reviewing the photos I've snapped that I'm in heaven!  I get giddy when I find I've captured the moment just right :)  This course has been a wonderful treat - helping me see that I can tell a story through photos!  The picture of my sister playing with Batman brings a huge smile to my face.  I love to see any mother so beautifully engaged with her child, and feel you can almost hear their laughter.  Of course, I'm especially enamored with the image because it's MY sister who is the engaged mother ;)  When I see the picnic blanket from our day at the park, I'm flooded with ideas of the innocence of childhood and romantic notions of dining alfresco.  Yet, on the personal side, the memory of how sweet Beansprout and his friend were as they ran around with balloons and tried to capture bubbles helps the day linger in my thoughts, a reminder of how lucky I am to have created a small family of friends out here so far away from home.

I hope these little slices of my life are helping me make connections with people close and far!  Thanks for reading ;)

2 comments:

  1. lovely. You truly are a creative artist. Woohoo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jeri! I have loved seeing your pics on our group page during class :) Look forward to seeing more in the SOL Tuesdays!!

    ReplyDelete